Saturday, June 25, 2011

Websites, posting boards, and craigslist Oh My!

In doing research I've been finding the "explosion" of dating websites and forums on the web.  Quite frankly, very frightening.    The anonymous nature of the web really allows people to be quite nasty to each other.    When I did this project 2005-2006 I posted an ad on craigslist and got a number of people to respond from craigslist and interviewed them.   I never had a bad experience and I never felt unsafe.   Today it's a little different (lookup Craigslist Killer, stalkers, etc.).  Not that society has changed much, but the reality of doing that and what that entails certainly puts me a little uneasy.  Which leads me to think about all the people who use dating sites, webboards and such to find dates.  And how they put themselves out there and risk things like ridicule or much, much worse.  

In going forward, I will be posting on craigslist to interview people, if only to see if people have found dates on craigslist and what their experiences have been.   There's a plethora of websites now and I'm looking into FB and others to see what's available there as well.   No wonder we're running out of IP addresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment